Our History

TST took over from SGBI and merged with SOSS to become the charity it is today. These were two charities who had assisted educators in financial difficulties for more than 200 years. Read about our history in the timeline below.


The Society of Schoolmasters is founded by a group of influential schoolmasters to provide life assurance for its members and to set up a benevolent fund for those in poverty.


The Reverend David Laing – along with fellow philanthropists – sets up the Governesses’ Benevolent Institution (GBI) for the ‘assistance of governesses in illness, distress and old age’.


GBI founds Queen’s College in Harley Street, London to provide education toward qualifications for governesses.


GBI establishes Queen Mary House for retired governesses at Chislehurst.


The Governesses’ Benevolent Institution Act receives Royal Assent.


The Act is amended and the organisation is renamed the Schoolmistresses’ and Governesses’ Benevolent Institution.


Queen Mary house closes and SGBI moves to North West Kent.


SGBI transfers assets and charitable role to the Teaching Staff Trust (TST) which can make grants to a much wider range of people who work or have worked in education.


SOSS (founded in 1797 and the oldest charity of its kind in the country) merges with TST and transfers its assets and role to TST which is using them to increase the financial support it offers.